Track days in S. Ontario are ON this summer!!!

On 1:01:34 pm 02/07/06 Ben Harder <vwtype53@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >  On 2/6/06, Ben Harder <vwtype53@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >  Excellent news Mark!!
> > >
> > >  Ok, so you and Cathy *must* pick a weekend this year and have us
> > > up!  :)
> > >  (I just love inviting the list to everyone else's house... hehe)
> > >
> > >  Oh, this will be a good summer...
> >

> >  There's actually ANOTHER track that recently opened up in the area
> >  as well:
> >  <http://www.dunnvilleautodrome.com/>
> >
> >  Apparently they had some similar issues with zoning, but they
> >  appear to be straightened out as well...  Organizing a day for
> >  ourselves is probably out of the question (mucho $$$), but there
> >  are usually several "open" track days (where a tuning shop or
> >  organization has ponied up the cash and you can pay at the gate -
> >  usually $75 - $125 Cdn).
> >
> >  I'll keep my eyes open and report back when I hear anything...
>

> Wow, that track looks very tight.  Lots of 90? corners and tight
> turns...
> You name the weekend and they will come...  :)
>

> Ben

Well, I'd count on Cayuga, here's the dirt as I know it...even though
tracks will promote themselves as though they are open, that may not be the
case. So our ex-mayor opposed the Dunnville track, and AFAIK, they still
have overwhelming things to get past to be in compiance with bylaws and
such, the previous problem there had been some huge raves, and that got the
locals pretty militant before the track even existed. It's also an airport,
a museum for Harvards (Texans to the US guys), before that a turkey farm,
and before that an RCAF base. So that's the "autodrome". Denny says it is
pretty narrow and tight. 15 minutes from my doorstep at the speed limit.

Then there's Dragway Park Cayuga, recently renamed Toronto Motorsports
Park. They've had a drag strip there for over fifty years, and then built a
circuit course beside it that the .org gang came up and abused for "Track
Day North". Anyway, the locals objected to it, because it was built without
proper permits, etc, so it got shut down. Said it was too noisy (but the
jet dragsters are okay I guess, LOL), even after they built huge berms and
so on.  And remember me mentioning the ex-mayor's objection to the
Dunnville track? Well, guess who got hired as manager at Cayuga? So yeah,
she knows the ins and outs of politics/council, etc, so from what I
understand, they will be open for both circuit and straight line racing.
The strip got huge money poured into it a few years back, and it's in great
shape, so that's another option for anyone not wanting to run the circuit.
I may well be on the strip if we go for a CSCS date, I was drag racing last
track day North. That track's about two minutes from my doorstep, unless
you get sidetracked by those gravel roads, you can imagine what trouble the
list nutbars got into on limited traction surfaces last time!

So keep talking, I can likely check into reserving the suite that overlooks
the strip for us to chill out in. Obviously summer holidays work well for
me, but whatever works for you guys is fine by me. Oh, first weekend in
June is out, I can't remember why :)
LMK, I'll provision up....
cathy