was Bleeding, now wiring connectors, rear light cover tinting

On 2/7/06, Edward Effinger <Eeffinger@conestogac.on.ca> wrote:

> Has anyone tinted their rear light covers?

I have successfully tinted Mk1 tails (red).  I used VHT Metal
Anodizing spray paint.  There's a trick to applying it properly - you
have to apply more than a light coat, but less than a heavy one.  :-)
If you apply a very light coat it appears dull and "rough".  The goal
is to apply just enough so the paint "melts" into itself.  Too much,
and you'll get runs/sags.  If you apply the right amount the finish
will be smooth and shiny once dry...  I had to apply three coats to
achieve a uniform red on the whole lens.  They hold up really well too
- after 2 years they still look great...  If I do it again (and I will
- I think they look killer) I will probably clear coat it afterwards
for added protection...  IIRC VHT also has a regular tint color if
you're just looking to darken the lens.

I have also noticed products out there now that are designed
specifically for this purpose.  When I did this years ago that was not
the case, so you may want to do some research...

HTH,

Mark.
75
86