Help me with my Mk1 shopping list

More below:

> 1.8L 8V Solid Lifters (I think, I have to double check my engine code...)
> Not going for massive power, just enough to make it feel peppier.

If you can try to snag a P&P'd GTi head. With the popularity of 16v's and
20v's these days, you can find P&P'd 8v heads for reasonable prices on the
Whoretex (only from a reputable source though!). Also try to a get a hold of a
GTi airflow box(the mk1 unit is a serious air restriction).

> As far as taking a working tranny from a working car and putting it into
> another working car, is there ANYTHING that I need to do?  Change fluid is
> probably obvious, but beyond that?

Fluid and your average clutch kit. Upgrading your flywheel/clutch combo to
210mm will help a little.

>> > +Camshaft (G-Grind?  Recommendations?) ($150-250)
>>
>> Depending on your goals (power vs. smoggability) and your engine
>> configuration. Assuming no smog and 8v solid head - get a schrick 272
>> (good luck  :p  )
>
> Good luck as in it's hard to find?
> Would a 272ish cam from another company be comparable or is there
>something special about that schrick?

Exactly - Schrick is god when it comes to cams. There was actually a 272 for
sale on the 'tex a couple months ago. Maybe it's still available. Most people
won't cough up for a Schrick, but they're just better (according to my butt
dyno!  :p )

I had a JH/272/Supersprint race exhaust setup back in high school. Pretty
trick back in the day and reasonably peppy even by today's standards. If you
don't have to worry about smog, the G-grind just looses too much on the top
end.

As luck would have it, our own Mark F. had one for sale a few months back.
Maybe he'll chime in...Just do a search for "Schrick 272".

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2293986

> My only real thought there is that I like the idea of a lightweight
> valvetrain for fast revving.  It's low on my list of priorities.

You won't realize any measurable gains from the cam gear - lightening the
valve train w/ Ti springs may give you a smidge, but nothing to merit the
associated costs.

HTH, JT