Help me with my Mk1 shopping list

Thanks for the input.  Couple comments in return:

On 2/7/06, Jeff Toomasson <area53@validpath.com> wrote:
> You'd be surprised how fast $4-5k can be gobbled up - especially, when you
> start buying the "little bits" to refresh everything.

Yea, that's why I'm trying to keep my list at or around $3K, so that I
have room to do more later and buffer for little stuff coming up.

> providing your (desired) engine configuration helps too!

1.8L 8V Solid Lifters (I think, I have to double check my engine code...)
Not going for massive power, just enough to make it feel peppier.

> Unless you're buying used or newish from private party, $400 is not enough.
> Also, this is variable depending on which type of engine you're running
> (8v/16v/ABA). I'll assume an 8v of some type.

Buying used from Peter.  Bellvue Motorsports header, plus cat, pipe and muffler.

> Rebuilding your cooling system is a smart choice - espcially if you have
> concerns about it.

Cooling system was overhauled when I bought the car less than a year
ago.  P.O. replaced thermostat and water pump, but never realized he
had an old crappy radiator.  I replaced the radiator.  I might try to
find new hoses, but that's about it.

> IMHO, the Camber Plates and spacers are completely unnecessary unless you're
> going to track the car.

I just like the idea of restoring suspension travel through the use of
spacers.  I realize adjustable camber (and the ability to dial in like
-3 degrees that most plates boast) is unecessary.  Someone recommended
Bonrath lowering caps, which are probably more appropriate.  I just
have to figure out which method gives me more height.

> >   -Sway Bars?  Stress Bars?  Recommendations?
>
> Again, unless you're going to track it, here's the recommendation (assume
> polys):
>
> Budget - mk1 Scirocco Neuspeed upper front tie-bar (must, but hard to find),
> lower 16v K-bar, Neuspeed 22F/25R bars.
>
> Better than average (I will not claim what's "best") -  mk1 Neuspeed upper
> front tie-bar, autotech subframe, Neuspeed 25F/28R, Neuspeed rear tie-bar

Thanks!

> Again, you'll piss away $$ rebulding a tranny. Unless you have a reason to
> suspect it, and you're married to what might be a rare gearset, don't bother.
> Even then, used trannies are relatively easy to come by.

As far as taking a working tranny from a working car and putting it
into another working car, is there ANYTHING that I need to do?  Change
fluid is probably obvious, but beyond that?

> > +Camshaft (G-Grind?  Recommendations?) ($150-250)
>
> Depending on your goals (power vs. smoggability) and your engine
> configuration. Assuming no smog and 8v solid head - get a schrick 272 (good
> luck  :p  )

Good luck as in it's hard to find?
Would a 272ish cam from another company be comparable or is there
something special about that schrick?

> > +Cam Gear (lightweight adjustable) ($125)
>
> Again, unnecessary unless you're going to track it and even then this is the
> LAST thing you should worry about.

My only real thought there is that I like the idea of a lightweight
valvetrain for fast revving.  It's low on my list of priorities.

Thanks for the input.  I appreciate it.

-Grant-