lowering?

16V Scirocco rear springs are the same way, the spring wire is tapered, and
the closely spaced top and bottom coils are compressed. Progressively ground
springs, is another way of obtaining a progressive ride, and is usually only
found in stock rear springs.
I've replaced a lot of stock Volkswagen suspensions, and all A1 rear springs
are like that.
The only time stock rear springs are not binding, is when the car is in the
air, or if the strut assembly is removed.

I installed another 16V Scirocco front spring set minus 1 coil on my '83 VW
Pickup, and it matches the rear leaf spring rate better, than the stock
springs.

Peter