lowering?

I went downstairs, got out a set of stock used 16v rear springs, and
carefully noted that both ends showed signs of  some coil bind pretty
clearly. (cleaner ring area where 2 coils touched keeping out dirt
and corrosion) Leaning on them with something like 150+ pounds I
could almost get 2 coils to touch.  Seems like the end of a MkII
should be enough weight to make create that situation.  Just so we
have a visual of what coil bind looks like:

http://ourworld.cs.com/jrp98ls1/coilbindlift.JPG

I'd have to say that it sure looks like some peoples cars can create
partial coil bind at the rear with stock springs, perhaps your car is
just lighter, your springs are of a heavier duty, or gravity notices
mass a bit less frequently in CA - or some other people just haven't
noticed the sheet-rock strapped to their roof.

==Brett