Causes for lowered gas preformance?

I can tell for a fact that different brands of gas can make a huge
difference.  After running for almost a year on Shitgo (Citgo) a Shell
station opened near my work.  Now I have always been a fan of Shell.  What I
am going to tell next I was not trying to make comparisons but immediately I
noticed at least 5mpg better mileage and much more power.  I have heard this
from several other people that switched as well.   I am also a fan of Mobile
and have had good luck with Standard (now BP).  I will never use Shitgo
again.