Causes for lowered gas preformance?

Yep, that's one thing, driving style. It may be where you're driving it
too, the old city vs highway thing. (starts/stops/idling vs cruising.) But
if it's your car (ie, aerodynamics/driver aren't a factor) and that hasn't
changed, it goes down to efficient combustion I'd think. Anything too rich
or too lean will dump unburnt HCs down the tailpipe, and these are capable
of providing energy if burnt completely and at the right time.  Leaky
injectors / cold start injectors could piddle fuel in, and a bad spray
pattern would make it harder to burn too. And then there is the possibility
that the distributor isn't providing an even mix, and the car is tuned a
bit rich to keep the lean cylinder(s) happy. And then there's spark, if
it's not firing well or at the right time, same deal I'd venture, unburnt
fuel (or loss of the potential to turn the crankshaft as efficiently as
possible). Then there are other things, like tire pressure and all that
drivetrain loss of go-forwardiness due to friction.
Just buy a TDI :)
Cathy