Julie's busy day and a few Q's

? The bolts for me are not a problem. I actually like them once I got the right tools. $21.00 bloody dollars US from the SnapOn man. Ecchh.
The jack stand can be found a Harbour Freight. I laid a large rug on the garage floor (helps cover the loose gravel) then a 4x2 of ply wood to roll it around on, and Snap! (no it wasnt the speedo cable) it was done!

-----Original Message-----
From: raveracer77 [mailto:raveracer77@yahoo.ca]
Sent: Saturday, December 2, 2006 09:31 PM
To: julie@menloparkrandd.com, 'Org, Scirocco'
Subject: Re: Julie's busy day and a few Q's

Jules
 I'm not really an expert but I'll try it out. The wires I'm not really sure about as I've only ever worked on the 2Y trannies (code for most 16V's). I think that there are two styles of plugs for the reverse lights and one of them might have a shift light for the dash. I've never actually seen a shift light but I've heard they have one more wire on the tranny for it.
 The speedo cable I don't understand. It should just have one bolt in the top I think it's a 12mm and then it should come right out. The one I had on the one I put in my GLI two weeks ago was a little sticky but it came right out with a little wiggling. Maybe the gear melted and warped if it was run with low oil or light weight oil because it's plastic.
 I'm still learning on this particular topic but once I get the next transmission I'm putting in my GLI, the 2Y will go in the 'Rocco and that'll be it, no more transmissions for me for a while.
 What kind of tranny jack do you have? I'm looking for one and the one I used at my buddies shop was kind of simple but it didn't have straps or allow for rotating the transmission. It took me 6 hours to pull the one out of my GTI without a jack while laying on my back on a peice of cardboard. That sucked.

 On more of a note of overwhelming triumph, I sourced some replacement bolts for those annoying 12 point transaxle bolts. They cost $0.60 each and are a 8mm Allen hex head, same length and thread. After having to cut one off the GTI with a dremel I thought I'd figure something new out instead. And it's probably not a bad idea to change this. Out of curiosity has anyone ever heard of a Transaxle coming loose? I was helping a friend work on his EG Civic and I noticed that his axles didn't bolt on at all, they just slipped into a gear like the one on our clutches. The axles they have are like the clutch spline in the transmission. This annoyed me a little then I realized that without bolting our axles together our front suspension would just fly out because we don't have a lower A arm to speak of that would keep the hub lined up. I'd imagine there's a good point to all of this but I don't know what it is.

 Rave Racer
Currently:
NEW!! 91 Jetta GLI 2.0L 16V
'81 Scirocco Mk1 1.8L 8V Digifant 2