  From: Ron Pieper
  To: raveracer77 ; julie@menloparkrandd.com ; Org, Scirocco
  Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2006 05:59 AM
  Subject: Re: Julie's busy day and a few Q's

  --- raveracer77 <raveracer77@yahoo.ca> wrote:
  >     On more of a note of overwhelming triumph, I sourced some replacement bolts for those
  > annoying 12 point transaxle bolts.  They cost $0.60 each and are a 8mm Allen hex head....

  I checked McMaster.com for something to match the M8x48 screws used on the CV joints.  You can get
  an M8x50 hex socket head for about ~$0.27/ea but you gotta buy 25, and you gotta ship them, so
  your $0.60 is OK.  And they're not rustproof, at least the ones I saw.  If you do this, do NOT get
  stainless steel, it's far weaker than a good 12.9 class bolt.

  Too bad the drilled-for-lockwire screws were available only in inch sizes...

  On a very old 4 speed removed from the car with CVs still attached, I scavenged a set of Torx head
  screws...far better than either hex or triple-square IMO.

  > Out of curiosity has anyone ever heard of a Transaxle coming loose?

  If you mean an axle, then YES.  I had to replace a tranny case half for a guy who brought me one
  where the CV bolts worked loose and the CV swung around and hammered into the side of the case,
  cracking the heck out of it.  BE SURE to tighten these bolts sufficiently!

  Ron

  Cheap talk?
  http://voice.yahoo.com