Finally got my 88 16v on the road!!

--- Eric Marsden <marsden.eric@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1.  When I first start the car up it runs really rough
> and idles very low
> until the temp needle moves a little bit then the idle
> smooths out.  I
> assume this issue is because the warm air deflector and
> all associated parts
> running into the airbox are missing.

Nope - that crap can safely be scrapped.  It sounds like
you've got a bad coolant temp sensor.

> 2.  The car seems to have no get up and go in first gear.
>  Put it in second
> gear and it is very very lowgy almost stalling in out in
> some cases.  I at
> this point am attributing majority of that problem to the
> fairly large leak
> I have in the flex pipe.

See problem 1.

> 3.  Finally the fuel pump seems to stay on for a while
> after I shut the car
> off.  I wanna say somewhere in the realm of 30-45
> seconds.  For this issue I
> dont know if it is normal or not so I have no possible
> cause.

I'd be checking for hacked wiring or a faulty relay as
that's definately abnormal and not good.

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 Scirocco                 '81 Scirocco S 16v to be?
'86 Scirocco 8v              '88 Scirocco 16v
'88 Scirocco Slegato (Gino!) '96 Passat GLX Wagon
'56 Cessna 172