Finally got my 88 16v on the road!!

I finally got all the major working parts of my scirocco together and the
car now runs and is registered in NYS.

Couple issues I am having right now.

1.  When I first start the car up it runs really rough and idles very low
until the temp needle moves a little bit then the idle smooths out.  I
assume this issue is because the warm air deflector and all associated parts
running into the airbox are missing.

2.  The car seems to have no get up and go in first gear.  Put it in second
gear and it is very very lowgy almost stalling in out in some cases.  I at
this point am attributing majority of that problem to the fairly large leak
I have in the flex pipe.

3.  Finally the fuel pump seems to stay on for a while after I shut the car
off.  I wanna say somewhere in the realm of 30-45 seconds.  For this issue I
dont know if it is normal or not so I have no possible cause.

If anyone can offer any insight or possibly corrections to my diagnosis of
these problems please do.

I have mentioned this in previous posts and I will say it again.  I bought
this car in february from a girl in CT who said the only thing the car
needed was a e-brake cable and a few other things on the interior and the
exhuast leak was also discussed before I bought the car.  I purchased the
car for 800 dollars which I thought being from the rustbelt in NY a great
deal for a rust free car which did run but not very well.  So I drove down
and towed it home.  Immediatly when we got home and started tearing things
down it became apperent that the head gasket needed to be replaced and it
pretty much snowballed from there.  Lots of things on this car are missing
for no apperent reason.  Very Odd things such as the warm air deflector
plate on the header and all associated parts leading into the bottom of the
air box.  Also the inner fender wells on all four corners of the car.  There
are lots othewrs that I have since aquired and put back on the car.  But
right now I would like to say again I NEED INNER FENDER WELLS shipped to my
house.  Due to my job it is difficult for me to get the time to travle to
pick these things up not to mention it is cheaper to ship then drive to pick
these things  up these days unless of course you live within 200 miles of
me.

PS.  If anyone has the warm air deflector and all associated peices I would
be interested in hearing from you.  I have entered the car in its first
auto-x on sept 17th and would like to have the car completed for the most
part before then.

Thanks Again Everyone!

Eric