was:I guess Now: New 'Roc

On 10:18 am 08/25/06 Armand Engelbrecht <macboy@sgi.net> wrote:
> Cathy,
> You make some very valid points, but I would have to disagree with
> you on the point of the 70's designs being gone.

Well, I think that if you stood Joe Q Public in front of a fastback Mustang
or a '57 TBird and asked them if it was an attractive car, they'd
unanimously say yes (and bid millions of bucks at inflated TV auctions for
one....). So to revisit those designs with concessions to modern safety
standards should result in a car with a good chance of selling well. Not so
with ours I fear, I know I'd get way more longing looks driving an old
Mustang or TBird than I do in either of my Sciroccos, with the exception of
those who are "already in the club". I agree that many revisits to older
designs have been well done, at least cosmetically. As for the feel? Nah,
they'll never feel like the originals, not to mention the maintenence
concerns. And that this IROC bears no similarity to our cars in looks.

As for the Bug? Well, I own one, and it's like I own the black sheep in the
VW family, mention Beetle ownership in VW circles and you get mixed
reactions _at best_. The hardcore aircooler people think it's an
abomnation, and the watercooled crowd would rather be seen in ANYTHING
else. The initial enthusiasm is long gone. (I still really enjoy mine, BTW)
It could be VW wants to be sure they appeal to a wider market than the few
who have sentimental feelings for the original cars (and in the case of the
Beetle, this would be a HUGE group anyway, they made SO many of them, and
people kept them alive so easily for so long, every kid knew Herbie and had
toy bugs, etc.) Hell, even at Waterfest, the Sciroccos got stuck out behind
the dumpsters. Why? Cause Joe Consumer likes to look at the A3/A4 stuff
better <shiver>. (Obviously I spent my time out behind the dumpsters :))

I'll wait to see if they got the important things right, how does the thing
go around the twisties, and did they finally find some suppliers for
electricals that are semi reliable? And will they ditch that interior? But
it doesn't look like our cars, I think we were all hoping for something
more like that Corradoesque red concept picture that's been circulating.
Meh, doesn't matter what we think anyway, VW has their own plans. Maybe I
need to start speaking Japanese for the next car eh?
Cathy

The designers at