the new 'Roc

--- LEF <rocco16@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> C'mon you guys.
> Ever since I joined this list, it's been "Bring back the
> Scirocco this" and "Bring back the Scirocco that".
> Now, they attempt to resurrect the name and you blast
> them for their efforts.
>
>  It's NOT a Scirocco, it's today's new car, made for
> today's market, meeting today's crash, mileage, styling,
> content, and emissions parameters.
>
> Just be happy VW hasn't forgotten the Scirocco name
> completely....

This absolutely KILLS me to say, but....

I agree with Larry.

While I personally would have liked to see more styling
cues from the original car, I think the new vehicle
embodies some of the same concepts.  It's a break from some
of VW's traditional styling.  Rumour has it they're
shooting for a pretty competitive price.  And the most
important tie?  It looks to be a practical car that
combines fuel efficiency with performance.

Do I like the styling?  Well...   it's going to have to
grow on me some more.  From certain angles, it's actually
pretty decent once you get past the fact that it is in no
way trying to imitate its namesake.  The chrome grille has
GOT to go - blacked out would be far more preferable.  I'm
really diggin' the steering wheel, which looks very much
like a modernized version of the later Mk 1 wheel.  The
seats could be slightly toned down but look very
supportive.  And I thought the IROC logo on the door sill
was a nice touch, especially if it's carried to "Scirocco"
in the production car.

And let's face it, the Scirocco in Germany was very much
the German market equivelent of the Camaro, so I can see
the IROC concept.

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 Scirocco                 '81 Scirocco S 16v to be?
'86 Scirocco 8v              '88 Scirocco 16v
'88 Scirocco Slegato (Gino!) '96 Passat GLX Wagon
'56 Cessna 172