Track day North Report. And how I love Canada

<Replies within, with snippage....>
On 12:58 pm 08/22/06 Ben <vwtype53@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Frist of all, let me say a big THANKS to Cathy again for having all
> of us over for the weekend... she really is an awesome hostess!  A
> beer was placed in my hand within seconds of my arrival.  If you've
> never stayed at Hotel Boyko I would highly suggest it.  :)

That's what I do, what can I say? And what am I gonna do with all that beer
if you don't drink it?

> I must share my wonderful experience at the border... and lessons
> learned. First of all, not all border patrol people are created
> equal.  You might get lucky and get the cute girl at the booth, who
> you tell you have your car loaded down with drugs and alcohol and she
> tells you to have a nice day... or you don't get lucky at all and pull
> up to the booth with the skeptical old guy like I had.

Lucky it wasn't me. "Sir, hand me your keys. You will have to leave that
car in the compound for "evaluation". Come back in six weeks, and we'll let
you know if it can be admitted into Canada...or quarantined for an
indefinite period"

 To make a long and frustrating story short, both
> the Canadian customs and US customs refused to stamp my reciept
> showing that, indeed, I was bringing the wheels back to the US with me.
> Obviously I was, but the red tape involved was insane.

SO after all that, you didn't get your money back? That's insane!!!! I've
actually done it with new goods (one was a very pricey formal gown that (my
daughter) Julie bought at Macy's and then decided she didn't like, so we'd
payed duty on it coming to Canada, and I sure as hell was getting that
back!) We've crossed many, many times with race rubber (mind you, only two
wheels worth) and never had a problem. Not to mention the many trips both
ways with a car jammed full of bulky, visible parts. It's profiling, I tell
you. Those tall slim white blonde guys are all terrorists. I bet you were
rude to the guy, that's it :)

> Oh well, lesson learned.  Next time I head up there I'm covering up
> those damn race tires with my sleeping bag and saying I just have
> camping gear and personal clothing with me or something! hehe... or
> better yet I'll just deal without the race tires at all.  :(

Well that's no good. I just don't get what the problem was.

> Still, even through my frustrating border crossing, I still had a
> great time.
>
> Can't wait to do it again.  Well, minus the border fiasco of course.
>
> Ben

Of course! If we do it a lot, maybe you WILL have to export a set of rubber
to my garage for use when you're here. Glad you had fun at any rate!
Cathy