  From: Don Walter
  To: roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca
  Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 10:08 AM
  Subject: Re: Track day North Report -- Now Tires?

  With my recent endevers into AutoXing at Treffen I have found the need for
  better track tires.  Any suggesstions for sizes and brands?

  On 8/20/06, C Boyko <roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca> wrote:

  > So I have Daun nearly asleep on the other couch here, and Ben H and
  > Meredith headed back not so long ago. We had a great weekend despite some
  > pretty crappy weather.
  > Friday we entertained in country style, featuring ARGO rides (on our
  > little
  > yellow 6 wheeled amphibian, and what would a VW GTG be without blowing up
  > an engine? My son had planned to blow up his ailing GTI at the track, but
  > the GTI had other ideas. So it got pretty dead, with a completely
  > obliterated cap/rotor and distributor assembly, accented by a nice view of
  > rod #2 though the block just above the hose on the waterpump. General car
  > talk, some tech procedures and many adult beverages followed.
  > There was a fine group of German metal gathered in my driveway, Daun's
  > first Scirocco, Ben's gorgeous MkI, Meredith's track ready GLI, Andy
  > Woodward's beautiful MkII turbo, Drew's 84 Wolfie 1.9 TD (Carrots) and
  > Jason C's 911. Yep, it was great!!!!!!!
  > Saturday we headed for the track, adding MkI Mark's newly plated MkII and
  > Sean's pretty Mars Wolfie to the pack (and my son in Denny's Mazda), Denny
  > and I were planning to drag race our regular CSCS series races, and Drew
  > was all teched in to time trial Carrots. Not to be, the mist started and
  > thickened into full blown rain, cancelling quarter mile action for the
  > day.
  > Lapping continued unabated! Jason pushed the Porsche to the edge of
  > traction and off the edge of the track in controlled graceful sweeping
  > high
  > speed ballet moves, Ben zoomed past everyone and everything making it look
  > so damned easy, MkI Mark owned the track with some heavy oil-sucking fog
  > action early on, Sean proved that two wheels are not just for motorcycles,
  > and Meredith steamed around the track. Adam, well, he was driving the
  > Mazda, so enough said, And Daun took me for a ride part way throught eh
  > day, and I was sure he'd done some track time. Drew bought ten laps and
  > went out when the skies opened, and stayed till a phone call brought him
  > in, Carrots was doin' jusy fine. I took Klaus out for ten laps late in the
  > day, and had fun, so pretty well everyone got a chance to kill rubber and
  > pads. Jason said he put 150 kms on his car, and had spent a bit of seat
  > time in Meredith's and Ben's cars, so there was lots of track time.
  >
  > Tech stuff? Daun's car ditched a starter bolt, Mark's car needed some oil
  > drained out, and Sean's car decided that it really didn't need that nasty
  > front hub nut after all (ouch). Otherwise, there were smiles all around! I
  > also scored a ride with Meredith, and with a race prepped Subaru (in the
  > rain, OMG, AWD rocks!) Saturday night we had pizza and beer and videos
  > courtesy of Anson, who rode down with  Andy.
  > Sunday, George showed up part way throught he day, and by late in today,
  > here I am......just Daun remains.
> [...]

  Don Walter - Waukesha, WI
  1986 8V Black Scirocco (Daily Driver)
  1984 8V Audi 4000s (RIP 2/14/2006)
  http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/708939)
  1986 2L 16V Toronado Red Scirocco (Ben's Car)
  1971 Karman Ghia (sold)
  1969 Karman Ghia (sold)
  1969 Beetle (sold)