Track day North Report. And how I love Canada

Frist of all, let me say a big THANKS to Cathy again for having all of us over for the weekend...
she really is an awesome hostess!  A beer was placed in my hand within seconds of my arrival.  If
you've never stayed at Hotel Boyko I would highly suggest it.  :)

Despite the rain, we still had a great time at the track.  The wet track just meant lots of fun
sliding sideways and low tire wear!  It was a good time.

I must share my wonderful experience at the border... and lessons learned.
First of all, not all border patrol people are created equal.  You might get lucky and get the
cute girl at the booth, who you tell you have your car loaded down with drugs and alcohol and she
tells you to have a nice day... or you don't get lucky at all and pull up to the booth with the
skeptical old guy like I had.  All I can say is what is the deal with bringing tires into
Canada!?!  One mention that I had my race tires in the car with me and he assumed I was going to
sell them.  I tried to explain to him that I put the race tires on my car for the race event that
I was coming to Canada for, but no luck.  Off to customs I was sent and forced to pay duty on
them.  Well, either that, or I could head back to the States I was told... so I paid the stinkin
duty on my used race tires.  The lady at customs assured me that I would get the money back.  She
said all I needed to do was stop by customs on the way back and they would see I had the tires
with me and then give me a refund.  Well, that is definitely NOT what happened!  To make a long
and frustrating story short, both the Canadian customs and US customs refused to stamp my reciept
showing that, indeed, I was bringing the wheels back to the US with me.  Obviously I was, but the
red tape involved was insane.

Oh well, lesson learned.  Next time I head up there I'm covering up those damn race tires with my
sleeping bag and saying I just have camping gear and personal clothing with me or something!
hehe... or better yet I'll just deal without the race tires at all.  :(

Still, even through my frustrating border crossing, I still had a great time.

Can't wait to do it again.  Well, minus the border fiasco of course.

Ben