Another amp question

Hi Jim,
    I think I might have deleted your original query post along with all the
other shrapnel...
    Here's what I know (I think) about sound systems.

1) Doesn't really matter the output wattage of the head unit, once your plug
in that signal as input to an amplifier then the amp's wattage is the main
consisderation for speaker wattage. In other words, the head unit sends only
a 'signal' which is then boosted by the amp to provide power to the
speakers.
    That's a very rough explanation, but the relevance is that the amp
doesn't care what comes in; it just runs the speakers.

2) More important is compatibility of amp and speakers. The amp is going to
be rated at 80 watts peak power output [ie; cranked] but at that level
you'll probably be getting some distortion. I like an amp that I can
normally put at about 50-75% of 'maximum' output; I think the sound quality
is better if the amp is operating below its maximum limit.
    Match to 80w (or more) rated speakers and you might have a decent
system.

3) My suggestion would be to price a new complete system... let the car
audio techs figure out which parts and pieces will work best together. That
might give you a better end result than swapping out one component at a
time... (and a 4 channel amp, thus four independant speakers).

Good luck. Wait a bit before you do anything; I'm sure a few people will
stomp all over this post to correct my mistakes.

Karl