Another amp question

On Aug 17, 2006, at 6:47 PM, Karl Krupke wrote:

> 1) Doesn't really matter the output wattage of the head unit, once
> your plug in that signal as input to an amplifier then the amp's
> wattage is the main consisderation for speaker wattage. In other
> words, the head unit sends only a 'signal' which is then boosted by
> the amp to provide power to the speakers

Yeah, I understood that.  I asked because I don't want to spend a
bundle, and if a 50W head unit is "close" to an 80W amp, then the amp
is not necessary.   Sounds like a 100W amp would be good, and I have
seen some good prices there.

> 2) More important is compatibility of amp and speakers. The amp is
> going to be rated at 80 watts peak power output [ie; cranked] but
> at that level you'll probably be getting some distortion. I like an
> amp that I can normally put at about 50-75% of 'maximum' output; I
> think the sound quality is better if the amp is operating below its
> maximum limit.
>    Match to 80w (or more) rated speakers and you might have a
> decent system.
>
> 3) My suggestion would be to price a new complete system... let the
> car audio techs figure out which parts and pieces will work best
> together. That might give you a better end result than swapping out
> one component at a time... (and a 4 channel amp, thus four
> independant speakers).
>
> Good luck. Wait a bit before you do anything; I'm sure a few people
> will stomp all over this post to correct my mistakes.

Thanks,  I had help from Brett when I did the sound system in my
convertible, and the advantage of having a clean slate to work
with,but it's been a while; I forgot some of the reasoning we did
from back then.  I don't want to completely disassemble my Scirocco.