Downpipe & Exhaust & Springs

On 8/16/06, Gordy Stedman <ydrogs@gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 8/15/06, Kevin Brosha <kjbrosha@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Is it possible to buy just the flex joint and get that welded
> > in?  Replacing
> > the entire downpipe would be pretty expensive, I'd rather avoid that if
> > possible . . .unless there's some benefit to that.
>

>  Just about anything can be welded.  Cheap route in the short run would be
> to reweld it but it will just end up breaking again since it can not flex.
> You will also end up spending more money in the long run having it done over
> and over.  I am sure someone on this list has a spare they might sell to
> ya.  Wonder if I do?

A good used downpipe might be a good compromise for me.  If a lister has
decent one for a reasonable price, let me know.

>   I can't afford to do any of this now beyond fixing the downpipe - just
> looking for more information  for my "if I had money" wish list.  It's a
> 2.0L engine too, but I don't know if that makes a difference for choosing
> an
> exhaust.
>
>  I bought the 2" cat back Techtonics system from Peter (
> peter@thescirocco.com) for my 8V and would recomend it highly.  Super easy
> to install in the driveway in a few hours.  You might want to get a 2.25"
> for your 2.0L 16V.  You can get it cheaper in galvanised steel but the
> stainless system has a warranty and will last longer.  I am on the fence
> with the Borla muffler though.  It is actually too quiet for my taste.  But
> it is a lot more mellow than the super trap I use to run :)

To quiet for your tast - how loud compared to stock?   I imagine the
2.25will be louder again than your 2".  If it's much louder than
stock, I'll
avoid it.

>  Lastly, to steal as much info as I can from you Scirocco wizards, I need
> > get new springs sometime in the medium term.  I replaced the struts 2
> > years
> > ago with fairly cheap stock replacement Monroe struts - also had to
> > replace
> > bump stops and so on . . . it cost a lot more than I planned.  To save
> > money, I didn't replace the springs at the same time.  A mistake, I
> > think -
> > the rear end bottoms out going over any moderately hefty bumps.  What
> > springs would any of you suggest to pair with these struts?
>

>  Get these springs:
> <http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=54708>
>
> Then when you blow the Monroes get these shocks: <
> http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=BLSA1>

Thanks - many people seem to recommend the H&R/Bilstein combination . . .
maybe next spring or summer I'll be able to afford this . . . or maybe if
I'm (un?)lucky, one of my Monroe stuts will blow, forcing me into
upgrading/fixing the problem.