1.8 not reving over 3k

Posted on behalf of Rob........

>>> "Rob Effinger" <Reffinger@rolmasterconveyors.ca> 2006-08-16 10:43:03 AM >>>
Hi Guys,I suppose it could be fuel pump, there is a new tank, pump and filter in the system as of this spring.I have noticed that the spark gets weaker as the rpm increases.  If I remove a spark plug wire and put another plug on the end of the wire and run the motor, I get a really healthy long spark ( about ?? long ) at idle. This is while I am holding the plug / wire near the engine block as the motor is running.  As the rpm increases I have to keep on moving the spark plug closer to the engine block to get the spark to jump, until I finally get virtually no spark.  I think the problem is electrical.  I checked the dwell, the points gap, the cap and rotor and it looks good. I substituted a coil from a 83 Rabbit GTI ( which had a computer * mine has no computer ) and that made no difference.  I don?t have a spare condenser, or I would have tried that.  This problem got really bad while the car was off the road for 2 weeks, in other words I wasn?t sure there was a problem developing when I took it off the road to fix a ball joint end, but when I drove it again, the problem had ?matured? into a real drive ability issue.  I can not floor the gas pedal or it misses, I can not drive over 3000 rpm or it misses, but it runs fine up to 3000 rpm.  I haven?t found any vacuum leaks, have checked all the hoses, and spraying ether at the motor while it?s running does not increase the engine rpm either.I replaced the plugs with a spare set and gapped them, no change. I also swapped out the spark plug wires, no impact. It?s a puzzler.I have been told that there is play in the distributor shaft, and that the bearings in there are worn.  Is it possible that the shaft is ?jumping? around causing the points to misbehave at higher rpm?Rob
From: Edward Effinger [mailto:Eeffinger@conestogac.on.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 9:31 AM
To: Daun Yeagley
Subject: Re: 1.8 not reving over 3k
 Hi Daun.
Good point about the fuel pump.
I believe he recently did the tank/filter stuff, but the pump might be a bit weak.

Not sure I'll be free to make Cathy's this weekend, although I would like to.
I know my car is not track ready, have a funny noise (possibly wheel bearing)
on the front passenger side.
The weather looks like it should be good.
I take it you are going?
Cheers
Ed

--- Edward Effinger <Eeffinger@conestogac.on.ca> wrote:

> My brother transplanted an '83 1.8 into his 79 rocco and
> it has been
> running great
> for quite some time.
> Now, it doesn't seem to want to rev over 3k.
> He has checked for leaks, bad plugs, etc.
> Anyone have this happen to them?

Lessee....   '79 had no cat, so that's not likely the
cause.  How about fuel pump?  A dying one will do this.
That or a plugged fuel filter or pickup screen.

Going to be at Cathy's this weekend?

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 Scirocco                 '81 Scirocco S 16v to be?
'86 Scirocco 8v              '88 Scirocco 16v
'88 Scirocco Slegato (Gino!) '96 Passat GLX Wagon
'56 Cessna 172
Th! e first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts - Ehrlich's Law.