[OT] What's it worth? '83 Audi Urq

Nate Mellom wrote:
> Made a big mistake and took the back way home, and there
> it sat, all nasty and red, an '83 Audi quattro coupe turbo.
*snip*
> He told me it was for sale, but didn't have any clue how much
> he wants for it.  On one hand, it's an ultra-rare piece of
> history (this car introduced the world to quattro, and there
> were precious few imported to the states), and the tend to
> sell for $15-20,000 in prime shape.

A friend is really in love with UrQuattros and they command a very high
price. One in great shape can indeed easily go for $20K or more. I visited
one with him (see below for pics) that was for sale in Brooklyn, NY about 4
years ago that the owner would not sell for an offer of in $16k cash. It
eventually sold for $25k and shipped it's new owner in Portugal.

Not only did this car introduce the world to Quattro but it is only a
slightly toned down version of the open class rally car that ruled the world
rally circuits (now WRC) for years. An Audi that cost more then the Porsche
911 when new was a difficult sell to those not 'in the know' and could
appreciate an all wheel drive turbo car (similar to Audi's RS6). It is my
understanding that the UrQuattro and the ~$200k Porsche 959 are the only
high performance all wheel drive cars of the 1980s.

What you describe is something that needs a lot of work and probably a bunch
of nearly impossible to find parts. If you can get his for $1k, $2k, or even
$3k and you have the time an energy to put into it you could turn a diamond
in the rough to a true diamond. Unlike pouring $10k into a Scirocco over a
few years to restore it, this car could potentially be worth nearly as much
as you put into it if you get it at the right price.

One positive of the UrQuattro is that their owners are a VERY tight knit
bunch, even more then Scirocco folks. I've been to their 'Cincy' in
Connecticut a few years back (see pictures below) with my UrQuattro-lusting
friend and they are some really great folks. The big differences between
them and us is that they own cars far more rare, most of them are not afraid
to spend a ton of money on their cars, and their 'Cincy' was catered by a
world-class chef (I can still remember the Salmon!).

See: <http://clubvac.org/urQuattroPicnic> for pictures of the UrQuattro
picnic in CT from a few years back. See:
<http://clubvac.org/BrooklynUrQuattro/> for pictures of Tony's (Fabio
looking dude) UrQuattro with original paint job in Brooklyn.

If you don't buy it, let me know and I'll forward it to my friend. Where are
you located?

-Marc

'83 VW Scirocco California Edition
'84 VW Rabbit GTI Pickup Truck