From: "Gordon Forbess" <gforbess@attglobal.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 9:34 AM
Subject: Re: 3 shift linkage upgrades,my installation/driving impressions (long)

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 09:31:32 -0400, "C Boyko"
<roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca> wrote:

>1987 16V: This car had the linkage upgraded five years or so ago, with
>fresh bushings and a TT short shift kit. It's never shifted nicely, though
>I've spent more than my share of time undoing that clamp and adjusting the
>rotation of the shift rod. The bearing on this rod was tired, so replacing
>it was needed.

Are you referring to the plastic bushing that comes riveted into the
carrier that bolts to bracket on the steering rack?  The one that
costs like $50?

Anyway, I can't use that nifty $50 unit since the mounting bracket on
the 75 racks are not like later models.  (They are at a 90 degree
angle to the ground)  I had to (long time ago) hack one apart and fab
a custom bracket to make it all work, including drilling out the
rivets that hold the plastic bushing and replacing them with bolts.
So now, I just replace the bushing.  Not a bad idea, but..

Problem is, the only replaceable bushings I've ever found are the
orange A2 style, which are cheap, but leave a fair amount of slop
since the A2 rod must be a bit larger diameter.  It's this way been so
long, I can't remember if it makes a difference in the overall feel of
the shifter.

So, is everyone springing for the $50 solution each time this plastic
bearing fails?  Have you gone to the A2 bearing and lived with the
slop?  Does this particular bearing have any real effect on the
operation of the shifter, as long as it's in one piece?  Has somebody
come up with a better solution?

Gordon
75 Mk I/Drake 1.9