Wheel bearing - only replacing the bad one

Well, maybe it depends on the use of the vehicle.
If you plan a long drive, at least have a spare with you.
If you just put around town and only put on a few clicks a year, the
other
bearing may be good for many more years.

My experience has always been to just replace the one that went bad.
On my van, it seems the right front wheel bearing goes every few years
while
the drivers front has never been changed.
Sometimes, what causes one to go doesn't happen on the other side.
Ed '81S

Allyn wrote:
> You are assuming that all bearing failure modes result in increased
noise under increased cornering load.  It is quite possible for
> a bearing to offer little to no difference under these conditions.
The bearing race preload is comparable to the vehicle weight,
> and cornering forces could actually be changing the path of the
bearings, shifting them to a less used, and possibly even *quieter*
> portion of the race.

Man, you guys get into some esoteric shit.  I bet it was the turbo
whine
  or maybe the Escort distributor wheel.  So far all we have to go on
is
a straight up noisy bearing and you want her head to swim with
possibilities?

> I don't mean to say that the right/left thing is a bad strategy, I'm
simply posing another data point - as I have personally
> observed the usual strategy of replacing the side opposite the louder
turn fall flat on its face.  If you only buy one bearing, and
> change it, just be prepared for the possibility of your problem
remaining.

Ok.  Always do both.