New Signatures for a couple Listers.

Julie will be posting most of the saga when she gets home.

She and Jill flew into Charleston, SC on Friday expecting to pick up her
replacement for Draco.  I had found an 81 for sale through the local dub
club that was supposed to be rust free and in good condition. I had seen the
car in the garage a couple of times at the guy's house, but had never seen
it in light. The guy worked late and the sun was always heading down when I
got to see the car. His light in the garage didn't work, so I never really
got a good look at it. He told me several times that everything for the car
was there and it was ready to roll with some assembly.

When I picked up Julie and Jill from the airport we went over to see the
car.  The seller had left me with a garage key as he had to work. In the
daylight it was obvious why he had me come at dusk and the light didn't
work.  The rust was far more work than he let on, and there was more rust
than what was described to Julie by him. And "All the parts and ready to
roll" meant I think most of it is there, but I don't know. From what I could
see in prior visits, I knew the radiator and some hoses needed to be
replaced.  He told me the car ran, but he just didn't have the time to put
it back together. To make a long story short, the car was basically useless
in its current state. Drive shafts were off the car, radiator was sitting on
the floor, hood had been removed, none of the vacuum lines were where they
should be and the ones that were there were capped with various bolts to
plug the lines.

Julie made the decision to go back and look at my MKI that I am selling (I
am selling the MKI, an 80 S, and my 2.0L 16V to make space in the drive for
my new ride a 79 Callaway that should be here middle of next week. More on
that in another post.) Anyway, I left Julie outside to look over my car
while I finished up some business in my office. I came outside expecting
that she was going to take my MKI.  She looked at me and said she wanted to
talk about my MKII (the 2.0L 16V.) It is for sale as well, but had no
thoughts that it could be leaving my driveway this weekend. After some
talking and negotiations of what parts I wanted to keep (euro lights, kamei
grill, amp and subs, etc) we struck a deal and worked things out.

Friday night we finally got a hold of John ( the seller of the 81 that she
came down to get) and she worked out with him to get money back on the deal
and I'll be returning keys and title this week.

Saturday morning we went out to get the car ready for them to head back to
NY. We spent the morning taking care of a couple small issues and removing
my junk from the car.  By lunch the heat was already back to form and we
were in serious need of showers before we all went to lunch.  I threw my two
girls in the Rocc with Julie and Jill for their first real drive in the car
since deciding to take it. We stopped on the way out so she could fill up on
gas.  My wife and I were in the .:R next to her when fuel started washing
from the bottom of the car. We took the car home real quick and switched
vehicles around and went to lunch.  We were both sure the car had just
suffered from the dreaded leaking tank issue.  At lunch we made plans to
pull the tank out of the trailer and swap the tanks Saturday Night.

We pulled the tank from the trailer first and it went easily. Got the Redd
Rocc up in the air and began removing the tank. We started around 5:00pm and
had the tank out and back in and called it a night around 11:40pm.  We had
several issues along the way, but the worst by far was the heat. This
morning we finished up and they got on the road just before 10:00am.  She
has many stories to tell from the trip.  I'll let her fill you guys in on
most of it.

Sad to see the Redd Rocc leave.  A lot of care and affection went into the
car, but I needed to make room for the 79 Callaway as well as future things
to come. The 80 S is still for sale and looking for a home to go to. Hadn't
said much about these being for sale as I wasn't sure what was going to
happen with Julie's visit, but now the other is up for grabs.

So, for now I am down to two Sciroccos, and hopefully I can get the 80 S out
of here in the next few weeks so that the 79 can feel at home.

Dave

David Winchell, II

87 2.0L 16V Scirocco (Headed to Amsterdam for it's new life)(Last time
appearing in my signature)

84 Scirocco BBS Turbo G60

80 Scirocco S (For Sale)

79 Callaway Scirocco (Should be here next week)

04 .:R32 DBP

00 Silverado