my steering column buzzes no more

I posted a couple days ago (and received no response, jerks! heheh) about
the loud buzzing noise I was getting from my steering column which went
away when I lifted up on the steering wheel. I got the "why don't you go
take a look instead of asking us" psychic message loud and clear, and did
just that this afternoon.

Apparently, the bearing race at the bottom end of the column had worked
its way loose and finally slid out of the column and was buzzing away down
at the bottom of the shaft next to the U-joint. And, without the bearing
there, the shaft was vibrating against the column as well. The result was
one hell of a racket. Pushing the bearing back up where it should be shut
them both up. I put a zip tie underneath the bearing to try to keep it
there for a bit longer.

But, there was a white plastic piece further down on the column from the
bearing that also came apart/off something. I slid it back up and tried to
snug it against the bearing, but it only stays there because of the sticky
grease. The first road bump I hit, it'll just fall back down the shaft
again. It looks a bit like a washer or a bushing or something.. I couldn't
identify it in ETKA as there are about 5 or 6 pieces shown, and I appear
to be missing some (most?).

Anybody know what's supposed to be down there holding the bearing in
place?

-Toby