A quickie, firing order 16V

On 7:29 pm 08/05/06 "Dan Bubb" <jdbubb@verizon.net> wrote:
> Late on this, but I am a 16V owner (even though everybody knows
> they're a POS and the 8V is a much better engine! ;^)
> Just went through this recently and the firing order is 1-3-4-2 as is
> almost every inline 4 cylinder engine.
> Distributor turns counter clockwise as viewed from the driver's side
> fender. Cylinder #1 is uppermost towards the front of the car.
> I promise to be more responsive next time!
> Dan

Thanks Dan, and to all those who replied.
See, I had specified in clockwise rotation in my original post, that was my
bad, it was merely so I knew the plug wire position, but firing order would
of course be in the direction the rotor spins (which I hadn't bothered to
check). So the Bentley's right, just the rotation goes the other way. It
starts and idles fine with the wires in the right places, and it turned out
that they were there to begin with. As for which is the better engine?
Depends what day, though I've logged more miles in 8Vers of the compression
type than anything else,, and I'm getting a big grin factor from that
sparkish 1.8 10:1 8V, which I guess is low compression for our 8Vs :)

So I went on to the next job on the to-do list, front pads and rotors on
the BUG.  After I managed to get the calipers past a nice rust-ridge, that
actually went well. I think so anyways, I have yet to drive it. (still
needs an oil filter, no insurance on it presently)

And as icing on the day, I had an extra MkI in the driveway for a while, Ed
Effinger and his son dropped by to pick up the bumpers Brian Haygood sent
part way along (my hatch) at Cincy. Pretty car, a BMW silvery blue S.
Hopefully he can join our Cincy convoy in the future. It's always good to
visit with Scirocco folks, you know?
Cathy