2.0 liter

On 9:20:31 pm 04/30/06 "Dan Bubb" <jdbubb@verizon.net> wrote:
> Boring the engine alone and fitting the biggest pistons you can
> reasonably fit (83.5mm) will net you around 1900 cc.
> You need the longer stroke crank to get to 2.0L.
> As Cathy says, getting a used 2.0L block is the cheaper way to go if
> you can find one in good condition.
> I'm of the opinion that the 1.8L head on the 2.0L block will give you
> more power than a straight 2.0L engine.
> Some will disagree with that (not currently on the list that I know
> of), but quite frankly I just think they're full of shit! ;^)
> In any event, the 2.0 engine just really has a bunch more midrange
> and low end although the top end isn't dramatically better than the
> 1.8. It's a much nicer engine all around.
> Dan

I really like mine, though I only got to spend two hours of bonding time
with my 1.8 before the crank keyway decided to shear off. I was advised
that the 1.8/2.0 L blend was a good one, and the straight 2L head was all
fine and good too, but I'd build the same thing again, if I were doing it
over. With the 2L, it's dieselish below 4 grand, and then really gets up
and runs (mind you, mine breathes pretty well). And I mean dieselish in a
very good way.....it doesn't feel thin to me like many gas engines do. And
I've driven diesels for longer than young Sam has likely been around, I
really like them too.
cathy