Painted Chrome trim on mk1 - how to fix?

So one of the previous owners of the 81s decided to paint the chrome trim
black.

So of course it is now peeling off and I have black with chrome accents ;)

So I need a solution to the problem.

I have been thinking of trying to remove all the paint, but I can't find a
way to do it without damaging the finish of the trim.

Other option would be to repaint it, but if I do that I need a
paint/system that will ensure I don't have the same issues in a few years.
 I need something that will look good and stay put for a long time...

Any suggestions?

Cory Langford
'86 Roc turbo,
'78 Roc turbo - RIP,