OT: iPod info needed

OK, I'm considering buying an iPod, even though I had previously found
iTunes to be a major resource hog on Windows.  I'm also considering using
winamp or another (lighter) client to sync it with, instead of the dreaded
iTunes.  Any suggestions/thoughts?

I searched Apple.com and was unable to find an answer to this simple
question:

Can you set up the system so you sync tunes to the iPod but they don't
remain on your PC's hard drive?  My little laptop only has a 40 gig HDD and
I'll have more tunes than space on my PC.  If so, can you still manage the
tags, playlists, etc. from your PC?

TIA

Jim