Cold Weather Question

On 4/17/06, Marc Getty <marc@getty.net> wrote:

> Ok Ok, I'm just a stupid American! I'll either take Mk1 Mark up on his offer
> to borrow a set (unlikely because I would feel REAL guilty putting 12,000
> miles on them and then returning them, plus it would add 1 to 3 days to my
> trip to go see him), or I'll buy a set in BC if it looks like they will be
> needed.

Like I said, I wouldn't want them back.  They won't last me the whole
next winter - I'll have to buy a set mid-way through anyways...  They
have enough tread left for your trip, but not enough for another
winter of my abusive driving.  :)  You're more than welcome to have
them.  You could always drop off your wheels here, and I'll bring them
to Cincy, where I can pick up the borrowed set...

> After all, it will be May when I get there. Unless there if a fluke storm,
> all of the roads should be clear. Even if there is a fluke storm, I can
> always wait it out, or buy a set of snows.

Sean told me a story of having to turn back (in a 4x4 truck) up a pass
in June because there was two feet of fresh snow dumped at the higher
elevations...  Since it's May, you'll be fine in the lower mainland,
and lower elevations up north, but as you go further north you'll be
running into more typical winter weather...  Chains could help you out
for short stints where needed, but you can't drive very fast with
them, so your trek through Alaska might benefit from a set of snow
tires.  I dunno, I've never been that far up, so you might want to
take your chances...

Later,

Mark.
75