Emissions failure

I don't have a 16v. I have an 86 8v owned since new in 1985 and driven more than 300k miles.

It has failed Georgia emissions three times in the last 5 years. All three times, I have run my fingers over ALL of the vacumn lines and found a hardened/rotted hose or cracked plastic fitting. If the car is running seemingly well otherwise, I'd concentrate on a cracked hose/fitting.

That's a good place to start with either the 8V or 16V at these ages. After that, go through the prescribed checks on the emisions and fuel management systems. Just rule each one out.

Most likely, it is a leak causing a component to not function properly.

It is almost always something simple.

Also:Clean air filter, clean plugs.

High octane fuel will have nothing to do with it, but if you have an exhaust leak: fix it.

Ron Bunch