From: Mark F. [mailto:mk1mark@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 07, 2006 8:08 PM
To: Foxx (in a box)
Cc: scirocco list
Subject: Re: head job pt. 2 - cam

On 4/7/06, Foxx (in a box) <foxxinabox@wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>    okay, so if i'm going to sink all this money into the head, i was
> also thinking about a different cam. g-grind i have a feeling would be
> too harsh for the daily driver, but i've heard the came from a 1.6l FI
> rabbit is mid-way between stock and g-grind. any experience with this?

A G-grind isn't "harsh" at all...  It's a very mild cam - one that
came stock on Euro model VW's of that era...  They idle perfect, and
will pass any smog test with flying colors (if everything else is up
to snuff)...  I don't see ANY reason to go milder than a G-grind for a
daily driver.

> also, if i buy a new cam (have a supplier for cheap), should i also
use
> new bearings? i've heard talk of this in the past but nothing
> definitive, afaik. once again, thanx.

There are no separate cam bearings in your head.  If the cam caps are
scored excessively you can get the head line bored, but I've never
seen a VW head that needed that - maybe if you haven't changed your
oil in 12 years...

Later,

Mark.
75