heh.. they're plotting.

On 8:49:16 am 04/07/06 "Greg Pallett" <greg.rocco@gmail.com> wrote:
> I totalyl get  it now, the two-vw insanity.  I'm gonna park them far
> apart somehow.  Why? They're talking and plotting against me.
> I had plans to change that radiator hose tomorow morning, save some $
> and buy a Subwoofer.
> But this morning the Scirocco ate it's shift box.  COuldn't get it
> into reverse.  WHile trying to find the other gears, I discovered
> about 4" of vertical play in the shift mechanism.
> So there I was, in the rain filling up the overflow tank on the Jetta
> to go to work.  I wonder if in the daylight I'll be able to get enough
> of the forward gears to drive it...
>
> Advice?
>
> GP

As someone else mentioned, it's most likely in the shift linkage, even my
cable shifter car has had a linkage problem when it's lost gears. I'd look
at the linkage to see if it's intact, and if there is obvious play
somewhere. Another thing they like to do is eat the plastic on that
"lollipop" part of the linkage, it'll give a lot of slop, but I've never
lost a gear over it. Maybe April is linkage month, now that I think of it.
Seems to be a bit of a theme around here.
Cathy