Callaway

Aside from the key-throwing (which is unacceptable IMHO), I've got four words
for you: "She'll get over it". Trust me.

My recommendation is to get that alternator fixed and relay your headlights
ASAP. Find a decent headlight switch to swap in there too (and make sure you
pay attention to the part number!) Doing it ghetto along with some uprated
grounds should get you home unless there's a short somewhere (cross your
fingers).

I almost found out the hard way what happens to Sciroccos when the crappy
headlight wiring - mainly the grounds - really start to fail. Back in high
school, my first mk1 - an 80 - kept burning up headlight switches. I was a
reasonably smart high school kid, but I didn't know sh*t about anything
mechanical or electrical when it came to cars. I actually got lucky because the
third or fourth one, which I finally broke down and bought new, managed to keep
the problem at bay. But there were a couple times there I thought the car was
going to catch fire!

HTH and congratulations on your purchase. I GUARANTEE you it will bring you
more enjoyment than your mk2's!  (dons flamesuit  :)

L8R, JT