Failed Emission Test

On 5:48:18 pm 09/18/05 "Rick Kellner" <rfkellner@snet.net> wrote:
> My 1987 16V failed its emission test on Friday.  The NOx was over by a
> fair amount however all the other emissions were very low.  When the
> NOx is brought into specs the other will rise.  Here are this year's
> numbers and the numbers from the last test two years ago.  I want to
> make sure it is in specs when I go for the next test since you only
> get one free re-test.  I will probably just bring the car to my local
> VW mechanic and have him set it up and check it on his machine before
> the state test. Rick.
>
>                         HC                    CO%                NOx
> Limits               278                   .89                    1944
> 2003                 162                   .24
> 896
> 2005                  31                   .02                    2488
>

>From what I've been reading, high NOX is from too lean (high temps are
required to create it) and high CO is from too rich (not enough oxygen for
complete combustion to CO2). HC can be from too rich, or from what I
understand, a "lean miss" to send HC down the tailpipe too.

A cat will correct it for sure, but it may just be lean. (but by how
much?)It's always such a crapshoot trying to guess the numbers without the
equipment eh? I hate E tests. Wonder if Mark F passed...

Cathy