Clutch Behavior

I am no expert here...

Moving the clutch arm is rather difficult by hand.  If I need some
slack for example to connect the clutch cable, I have in the past
stuck a large flat blade screwdriver in the hollow part of the clutch
arm and had someone else push it with their foot.
It's a clumsy way to do it and if you aren't careful your buddy could
kick you in the mouth, but it is a relatively easy way to check to see
if it is moving properly.  I think it is supposed to have an inch or
so of slack.  The arm itself moves at least 4-6 inches or so.

Anyone agree or disagree?

The cable itself more than likely snapped the plastic loop that goes
over the hook on the top of the pedal.

HTH
Chris