Clutch Behavior

I've made an appointment tomorrow to have a mechanic look at the my
totally-loose clutch pedal problem.

However, I've got a hankering to fix this myself (but don't want to
get into this weekend it if this is a full clutch overhaul job).

So here's the deal - there is about 1.5 - 2 inches of lightly-sprung
play on the Y-shaped lever arm on the crankcase (that I assume
actuates the clutch mechanism).  I read that the actual clutching
action requires LOTS of force, more than one can easily employ with
one's hands.  Does this play in the lever arm mean my clutch is
hosed?  Or is this normal and suggests that my clutch cable is busted
(the clutch pedal depresses all the way to the floor and does not
spring back - feels totally slack).

I really don't want to take the car to the mechanic if all I need is
a cable - I'd rather have the satisfaction of fixing it myself anyway.

Advice?  I need serious answers before about 5pm Eastern Standard Time.

Also, I will post pics soon - assuming people like to look at the 88
karmann edition.

blake/