OT: My HD on my other computer are gone

Ok brother...

Your first problem is that it's a Gateway.

Second problem... this computer used to be used damn near 24-7 huh?
Well there is this thing with electronics, and I am NOT being a
smartass here... I used to be in charge of the UHF line of sight radio
shack on the carrier.  I had 34 "whiskey-3's", all of them 1950
something technology, but they worked.  If we were on deployment and
they worked 24-7 I rarely had a failure, like a transmitter module or
a powersupply (most common) that and those damned fm detectors...
grrr.

However if we have them shut down for a long period of time--like for
a yard period, and then start them up a year later or sometime these
tempermental bastards would do this after a week... I would have
dozens of component failures... usually several random things per
radio.

Closest thing I can attribute it to is the closer you get to the AMTBF
(average mean time between failures--it's life expectancy) the more
suseptable it is to the stress incured during start up.  When you
start up a peice of electronics, especially a computer you have ALOT
of voltage dips as drives spin up and the such.  That may do an old
power supply in or a drive for that matter.  These start up stresses
can be catastrophic eventually.  Not saying that this is your problem,
but I think that I am on the right track here.  I have never had a
computer SIT for a long period of time and not be used and start up
again with no issues.

Get a can of air and dust the crap out of it.  Smell it for that acrid
fried electronics smell.  If you have a meter, verify that you have
12v for the drive motors and 5v for the drive electronics.  The power
supply should tell you what you are looking for in amperage.  Usually
the 12v line has a few amps to push motors.  If all this is good then
I would pull one of the drives, jumper it as slave and put it in
another known good computer.  If that doesn't work you have a couple
options.  You can send the drive to me and I will see what I can do
with it, or you can send it to a data recovery lab.  They open the
drive in a clean room--even if it's been in a fire and/or formated and
they can recover ANYTHING.  The only thing they can't fix is a DOD
secure wipe... LOL  Costs about 2 grand, and they destroy the drive in
the process.  I would recommend as a last resort.  I have a known good
computer and a few special cables that I can use, something along the
lines of an external enclosure, just minus the case.  LOL

As Kevin said I would be VERY ginger with the drive.  I mean most hard
drives have a AMTBF of about 20-60 thousand hours, but still you don't
want to create too much shock.

Sorry for the long post this is what you get when you ask a nerd a
question like that.  LOL

Chris