OT: My HD on my other computer are gone

So I have this old workhorse of a Gateway that's been pluggin' along just
fine for the last 10 years. A while back, I took it out of service to make
room for a newer box. Today, while searching for a copy of my resume, I
realize the only digital copy I have that I can think of is on that beast.
So, I move the least used computer off the KVM switch and plug the beast
back in. I turn it on and it starts to boot. It's not finding any HDs at
all. There's 2 in it and I have not touched this thing since unplugging it.
Do they just go bad like that? I know it can happen, but I haven't used it
in almost a year and I wouldn't think it could go bad from disuse. And the
fact that BOTH drives aren't being found seems a bit fishy. It is finding
the floppy, the burner and the dvd drive just fine.

Any clues?

Has it been talking with Red 5 behind my back and now it thinks that its a
Scirocco? Bad behavior from lack of love?
--
Mike
'86 red 16v (Red 5)