Help - Clutch release arm not returning - Now the Trans is out

Okay so I pulled the green cover and the arm was moving and I pried on it to
make sure it wasn't broke. It seemed rigid enough but the piston that it is
supposed to push on was not returning back out with the arm motion. It was
just fully depressed so we pulled the transmission.
 We expected to find a hole in the clutch retaining plate. With the
transmission out the retaining plate looked fine with a small amount of
wear. IF I push on the rod and work the lever it moves in and out like it
should. The only odd thing we found was what appeared to be half of an
eraser head stuck on the clutch plate. I measured the distances of critical
dimensions and compared them to an old SACHS I have laying around.
Everything seemed to be fairly close. Would that eraser bit be enough to
keep the push rod from returning? What else would not be returning the
pushrod back to its rest position??? I hate to put it all back together and
not have it work.
 I have included some pictures if anyone can see anything. They do show the
foreign particle.
 http://scirocco.dhs.org/vw/list/<http://scirocco.dhs.org/vw/list/Don_Walter/Clutch/>
Don_Walter/Clutch/ <http://scirocco.dhs.org/vw/list/>