Pre-alternator failure symptoms?

Patrick Bureau <patrick.bureau@gmail.com> wrote:
I agree, but often enought the culprid is not the alternator but simply the
voltage regulator on the alternator where once your remove it (2 philips
screws) will show the brushes are worn out and need replacing (12$/autozone)
I would check them first... then again checking voltage output on the
alternator (boost to start the car and test car) will give you indication if
alternator/brushes are at fault or something else.

I have to agree with Pat here,

Check the bruches first as often times that is the main reason for the lack of juice. I had to do a 65A to 90A alternator swap on mine just because my was literaly shot and I wanted more juice for othr things. But All in all my belts screetched any time that I turned on the fan in the car. I did not think much of it at first, but then it started doing really strange things. The final point that made me do the switch was while I was taking my daugthers to the airport. It was raining so I had the defroster on for the fogon the windshield, the wipers where goin and so where the headligths. About 2miles from the airport it started acting up. The gauges went dead. I had no Idea how much gas I had and the car almost died. I turned most everything off and nursed it there. The rest is history and at Dans garage we did the swap which was not fun given the set up on my car that puts the alternator under the AC compressor.

Looking back on it it was bad, but It was well worth the change. So do check the brushes first and charge the battery up too then see what the numbers are. After that it may just be new alternator time.

Cheers,

El Tony