Pre-alternator failure symptoms?

I agree, but often enought the culprid is not the alternator but simply the
voltage regulator on the alternator where once your remove it (2 philips
screws) will show the brushes are worn out and need replacing (12$/autozone)
 I would check them first... then again checking voltage output on the
alternator (boost to start the car and test car) will give you indication if
alternator/brushes are at fault or something else.