Pre-alternator failure symptoms?

SO today I had undeniable issues with the charging system on my MkI. The
fuel guage dropped visibly, it ran like ass, and when I parked it, it
failed to start. The plug on the alternator is in need of attention, and
maybe the whole thing's not working, 10ish volts at the battery at any
rate. (Battery wires are minty fresh and tight)

So my question, would it have perhaps provided erratic power prior to its
demise? I'm wondering if this is the last lap of my quest for consistent
power, I've wired and checked all sorts of things, and the problem was
still there. I never suspected the charging system, because up till now, my
tiny Braille has been starting the car really well, even when it was
running poorly for other reasons (like bad injectors). The cable tie and
silicon on the alternator plug have me wondering if that's been a source of
grief. I'd appreciate a reply to this, if any of you have had subtle
symptoms prior to the obvious slap in the face when the car says "Nope, not
trying"

Cathy