[ot] passat vr6 no start - abs control unit?

As far as I know the two units operate independently, i.e. if one has
failed it won't keep the other from booting/operating...  However, they
share the K-line (communications) and maybe something is shorting?  If
you have managed to get the car to start twice by wiggling the same
connection I would highly suspect something in that area.  I'd trace
the wires and test them for continuity as someone wiggles them....

Usually when a VR6 doesn't start like that it's the crank or cam
position sensor as you obviously already know....  Do you have
something like VAG-COM to read codes out of it?  I am not sure about
the OBD-I cars but I know OBD-II will only pop a cam/crank position
sensor code  if it doesn't see anything from the sensor after cranking
for 5 seconds or more...

Seems like everything else VW, the wiring gets flaky in old age, though
it really seems better than the earlier cars in my experience.

John Gates
--
'97 Jetta GLX
'85 Scirocco