first time

--- Blake Irvin <blake@clockworm.com> wrote:

> i drove a scirocco (mine, just out of the shop) for
> the first time
> yesterday - and i felt the love.

What kind, what year? Oh, & Welcome, Welcome.

> there are 2 immediate things the mechanic noticed
> that i need to deal
> with - one of the rear springs is apparently broken,

Rear Springs as in part of the Suspension. Springs are
unusually replaced in pairs (both back and/or both
fronts) so as to keep matched sets together. It can be
done via the cheap to get you back on the road, just
replacing one spring, but it is not recommended.

Better still is to view the repair process as a chance
to Upgrade! (woohoo!) That means perhaps investigating
a new suspension setup, either a full on race type
(stiff and somewhat unforgiving) or more likely a
SoftSport type setup with _some_ lowering but still a
degree of comfort vs the Racer-X configuration.

(I seriously doubt you have too much luck finding just
the one spring.)

> and he thinks
> the master cylinder is leaking (bled the brakes but
> the pedal is
> still really spongy.
>
> so where do i go from here?

Well to answer you other reply I'd say you could Reman
the M/C yourself if you thought to do so (although
reman kits are not being stocked like they used to)
but you might investigate getting the real OEM stuff
for less that some local shop with high overhead.

Lots of folks hear on the list swear by (at least) two
of our fellow brethren; <http://www.parts4vws.com> &
<http://www.germanautoparts.com>.

The former is run by some folks known as the Potters
and are out West, the latter is back east. Either has
a healthy rep with the knowledgeable VW crowd and are
more than trustworthy.

As for Title issues I have now clue in terms of PA,
I'm in Norther California, but I'd say getting your
fees paid and getting insurance are paramount. You'll
want to have at least some proof that you are in the
process if not completely done with getting it all
squared away if and when you need to interact with
Johnnie Law.

Welcome my friend, to the Show that Never Ends, come
inside, come inside...

btw, I heartily recommend the Bentley repair manual
but also want to toss out the (cheaper) Haynes as a
companion. It sometimes has an illustration or
electrical diagram that provides another insight into
the Rocs inner workings.

So, Think springs:
<http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=54740%2E55>
& (perhaps after letting the brake system settle
awhile) get the fluid re-bled/flushed to make sure
it's not really toast after all and enjoy!

TBerk

http://mail.yahoo.com