is this possible?

On 3:32:37 pm 10/07/05 Blake Irvin <blake@clockserver.homeip.net> wrote:
> just talked to the mechanic that is doing my clutch job (with parts
> from germanautoparts.com) and they tell me that the clutch kit for
> the 16v that I got is all wrong, and the transmission in the car is
> not even for a 16v (perhaps a golf/rabbit or something) - is this
> even possible?
>
> trying to figure out who (if anyone) ripped me off.
>
> blake/

You can tell the original application by lookng at the little stamped code
on the bell housing, towards the front, on the bottom. It will tell you the
tranny code and the date of birth. No guarantee the internals haven't been
swapped around, mine says AGB but is more like 4K internally for example,
but it'll give you a good starting point. Then take the code (4K, 9A, AGB,
FF etc.)and consult the gear chart on the .org site. It'll tell you the
original flange size, the original application, and the gear ratios.

Print a copy of the gear chart, it's a handy reference. I just looked at
mine now to see if the red speedo gear was right for Jim's 3.67 final, but
it wasn't on my printout. (Mine are all 3.94s, white gear.)
Gotta love hybrids, it would have been nice of the PO to tell to you if
there was a swap though.

cathy, pimpin' the gear chart....