is this possible?

In a message dated 10/7/05 5:32:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
scirocco-l-request@scirocco.org writes:

"next question - is this a bad thing?? seems sketchy to me...

blake/"

not at all... it's common for people to swap in diesel trannies (longer gear)
or for people to swap in GTI transmissions otherwise known as 4K's for
shorter gears.  I think a 9A trans is also a popular one.  They are the same exact
trans, except for the input shaft being smaller, and the 8v coming with 90mm
flanges (easily changeable).  You can use all the parts in the kit you got from
germanautoparts, but you'll have to buy an 8v disc... just the disc, you can
still use the pressure plate.  I doubt you'll be able to return the disc that
you did get if it was installed far enough that they realized it was wrong.  If
you buy just the disc you should only loose a fraction of the dough you laid
out anyway.  To be totally sure what you need, have a look at the bottom of
the bellhousing on your trans to see what code it is... the code refers to the
first 2 letters on there, but write them all down and then give those to the
folks at germanautoparts so they can ship you the right disc.

Jim
'88 16V
'81S 16V