bored and wanting Mecca...

On 3:16:22 pm 10/06/05 Greg Pallett <greg.rocco@gmail.com> wrote:
> ok.. since I haven't been... only  heard the stories.....
> how about a series of "cincy for dummies"
> what to expct, what to prpare myself for.. etc.
> something to keep me going those cold winter nights as I toil in the
> garage...
> who am I kidding.. I don't toil!

Okay.
Rule number one. Plan your escape from work well ahead. I've "had a
headache", and most recently "attended a family wedding in Ohio".

Rule number two: Get there. Roccos are optional. All other types (aka
"Kias") must park on the "non-Rocco" side of the driveway. This includes
Porsches, BMWs, yellow Mustangs, other VWs and anything with a bowtie.

About your car - if it's a Rocc, we'll love it. This is absolutely a non
competitive event. And it IS about the people.

Other than that? Dress code is T-shirt/shorts and stuff you can get dirty
in if you are so inclined. If not, bring a lawn chair and lots of sun
block. Wrenching is optional. Parts are usually bought and sold, so if you
want to sell/need anything, this might be the time. The biggest part I ever
bought at Cincy was my 1979.
If you have something you want to learn to do, or something you can teach
to others, this might be a good time. Just remember if you tackle anything
too big, you won't have the chance to socialize as much, so it's probably
best to do that at home. Although sometimes the car makes that decision for
you on the way.
Oh, bring a camera, and lots of film/digital memory/batteries...whatever it
eats. And a FRS radio (Talkabout) is handy for convoys.
No real agenda, traditionally we have pizza Friday night, barbeque Saturday
night, and a big photo on the back lawn Saturday afternoon. Sometimes
videos on the garage door Saturday night. "Goodbyes" start on Sunday.
"Favorite beverages" are usually abundant, driving after consuming said
beverages is discouraged. There's a hotel nearby and a group usually sets
up camping at a local campground. That info, and convoys from all over are
announced ahead of time on the list.

I was worried my first year that nobody would like me (well, they probably
still don't), that I'd be an "outsider" from "the group", that my car would
be too crappy compared with the others, that my car would die on the way
there, that I didn't know enough about how to fix it, all that stuff. I had
no need to worry, this is THE most fantastic group of people, willing to
share their technical skills, and will you ever see a variety of "things
you can do to your Rocco".

Yeah, you need to go. "Mellow" would be a good word for the event, even
"cuddly warm"...

Cathy
(How many days again?)