[SOT] Testing Speakers

--- Brad Sterling <bgsterling@bluebottle.com> wrote:
<A story of failing stereo (re)installation>

Divide and conquer my friend. Swap the Left for the
Right components, one at a time until you have
revealed the trouble;

- Temporarily swap the leads from the Head Unit, Left
for Right. Does the problem follow or remain on that
same side?

- Swap a speaker at the end of the chain, does the
problem follow? (btw, a 9v battery makes for a decent
speaker verify-er: it's got enough juice to push or
pull the 'cone' one way or the other.) Great for
verifying Phase also. (As in having all your speakers
pushing 'out' together vs fighting each other.

- Bypass the x-over, just on low power, and see if the
Head Unit to Speaker connections are OK.

All of these check basic function. If you want to
break out the meter you are going to want to check
Voltage w/ the power ON and Continuity (and/or
Resistance [or lack there of]) w/ the Power OFF.

Off the top of my head checking for Cont through a
x-over should work but running signal down the thing
sounds like a win/win to me.

hth,
TBerk

http://mail.yahoo.com